Shauna in South Korea

You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.

-Miriam Adeney

My Kindergarten Class!

My Kindergarten Class!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live."

Oh my goodness gracious, I don't even know where to start. This week has been filled with so many changes and new experiences, and I feel a little overwhelmed. To start, my stomach is really struggling. I have heard from co-workers that most people have a hard time adjusting to the food, but knowing that does not make it less miserable. I went almost three days only eating a few pieces of bread. I am slowly eating more, but Korean food is still not sitting well with me. It's okay though! If that's my biggest problem, I will most definitely survive:)

Yesterday five of my co-workers and I went to Seoul for the day. It took about 40 minutes to get there by bus, and an hour back by subway. I have a feeling that figuring out the bus/subway system will take me a long time to since everything is in Korean. On one hand it feels like so much time is wasted every day just because of the language barrier. If I could read or speak Korean, most adventures would take is 15 min instead of an hour, or 30 minutes instead of two hours. On the other hand, it's all part of the adventure. Due to my inability to speak Korean, I have spent a lot of time acting things out and using gestures to ask questions. Along the way, I have met a lot of wonderful people, and ended up in some pretty amazing places; even when they were not the intended destination. Life is about the journey not the destination, right?

Because I am not really a big city kind of girl, I felt very disappointed with Seoul at first. Seoul is one of the biggest cities in the world, and that is exactly how it felt: at first. I stepped off the bus and literally could not walk because I was surrounded by hundreds, maybe thousands, of Koreans. Talk about culture shock. I don't remember the last time I was in an area with that many people in general, let alone being with that many people and being part of the minority. However, after a lot of staring at the large map in the subway station, a lot of walking, some wrong turns and some sketchy areas, we ended
up in Insadong: the Art district. It was wonderful an quaint-for being right in the middle of the city. It is the home of art galleries and traditional tea houses. I sipped my first cup of Korean tea while getting to know my new co-workers. Then we walked from cute store to cute store admiring the art and the fabulous pottery. I bought my first pair of chopsticks.

Saturday evening we headed to Itaewon: the foreign district. That is where the American military base is so it is the home of many foreigners. It surprisingly felt very refreshing to be in a place that felt a little like home. It seemed so silly to me that I was so relieved, because I have only been here for one week. I don't think I was aware of how much I was being affected by cultural changes this past week.



Most Exciting News Yet
(probably not for you, but for me): As of today I am completely moved out of the Love Motel and in to my very own apartment. For the first time I feel a little more settled, and I feel like I finally have a place to call home. All of the teacher's apartments are completely different so I had no idea what to expect. I really lucked out- and I absolutely love my place. Unfortunately, not everyone feels the same way about their apartments so I feel very lucky. I will post pictures as soon as I get the chance!:)

I really hope that wherever you all are you are taking the time to just love everyone around you, whether it's someone dear to your heart or a complete stranger. This past week I have been forced to let go of the reigns and give them to God; through him I have been helped and loved by so many wonderful strangers. I never would have made it through this last week without Him. I just pray that when you meet someone on the street this week that seems lost, doesn't speak English, or needs help from someone, that you open your heart and be the love that they need in that moment. I have never felt more strongly about this than I do now. I love you all and miss you every day.

XOXOXO,
Shauna

2 comments:

  1. Shauna,
    It sounds like you are having an amazing adventure--keep trusting God--it's funny how you come to rely on Him more and more once you are out of your comfort zone. I'm praying for you and Christine!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shauna- Maria told me about your blog, so you've got a follower in me! Remember to stay safe, and have fun, the time will go by oh so fast! I know Maria misses you tons and tons, can't wait for the next update!
    <3, Kate Bjorklund

    ReplyDelete