
Yesterday (Sunday) was our first real experience with the food. London and Britney have been just wonderful; showing us around, helping us find food (otherwise we would starve), and helping us find some necessities. They brought me and Christine to a Galbi, a very traditional style Korean restaurant where there is a grill in the middle of the table and you cook your own food.

We took off our shoes, and sat on mats on a wooden floor. In front of us was a wooden table with a grill in the middle. Every Korean meal is served with lots of side dishes, Kimchi being the most well-known/popular. They brought us bowls of lettuce, garlic, onions, and about ten dishes I could not identify. We ordered beef (bulgogi, I think) and cooked it right on the grill in front of us, along with the garlic and onions. They don't serve any plates so we made lettuce wraps of the meat plus all of the veggies and interesting concoctions on our table. It was absolutely delicious. Due to the lack of plates and the use of chopsticks- I have a feeling I will be eating much slower, taking smaller bites and eventually giving up out of frustration.
After lunch we went to London's apartment for the first time. It was so refreshing to know eventually I will feel settled in to this place and be able to make it feel like home. The four of us girls spent the afternoon talking and getting to know each other.
Last night we went to a place for dinner where we literally took the owners hand, brought her on to the street and showed her a picture of what we wanted. It turned out to be very delicious, but looked like something that could have come out of a cow's butt. Picture Below.

We took off our shoes, and sat on mats on a wooden floor. In front of us was a wooden table with a grill in the middle. Every Korean meal is served with lots of side dishes, Kimchi being the most well-known/popular. They brought us bowls of lettuce, garlic, onions, and about ten dishes I could not identify. We ordered beef (bulgogi, I think) and cooked it right on the grill in front of us, along with the garlic and onions. They don't serve any plates so we made lettuce wraps of the meat plus all of the veggies and interesting concoctions on our table. It was absolutely delicious. Due to the lack of plates and the use of chopsticks- I have a feeling I will be eating much slower, taking smaller bites and eventually giving up out of frustration.

After lunch we went to London's apartment for the first time. It was so refreshing to know eventually I will feel settled in to this place and be able to make it feel like home. The four of us girls spent the afternoon talking and getting to know each other.
Last night we went to a place for dinner where we literally took the owners hand, brought her on to the street and showed her a picture of what we wanted. It turned out to be very delicious, but looked like something that could have come out of a cow's butt. Picture Below.
Today Christine and I will meet at school at 3 to meet all the kids and the teachers. London and Britney are at work today so will be unable to help us get food until after work. Unfortunately, we are not able to survive on our own yet- so lunch might be difficult. Other then the ridiculous fishy smells I get overwhelmed by around every corner, everything is going great!
Missing everyone from home!!
Love, love, love,
Shauna
Shauna

Man Shauna I hope you are going to collect some recipes while you are over there. That food looks amazing. We should have a big dinner Korean style when you get back.
ReplyDeleteKJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jajangmyun
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had Samseon Ganjajangmyun, a seafood noodle dish.