Shauna in South Korea

You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.

-Miriam Adeney

My Kindergarten Class!

My Kindergarten Class!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My First Korean Holiday: Chuseok!

Chuseok is one of the most important holiday's in South Korea. It is comparable to Thanksgiving in the United States. Chuseok is a three day harvest festival where Koreans go back to their ancestral hometowns in celebration of the good harvest. Families make a large traditional Korean meal for the celebration.


Because of Chuseok we only had a three-day week at school. For the celebration all of the children dressed in their traditional Korean clothing and we made songpeyon ( or rice cakes but do not be fooled by the normal sounding name) which is one of the most important foods prepared and eaten during this time. The kids were absolutely adorable!!:) I have tried songpyeon before (I got some in a treat bag after one of my student's birthday parties) and it was O.K....but watching my students roll it all over the table, drop it on the ground, and stick it in their mouths- I have officially lost my appetite for songpeyon.



I will be spending the holiday weekend in a somewhat traditional manner with Christine's family (somewhere in Korea, I have no clue where). I will fill you in when I return back to Suji!



1 comment:

  1. Your children are adorable Shauna! I love the traditional clothing, I think it is really beautiful! Also, you look so calm in the chaos of being with a group of kindergartners!

    -Tricia

    ReplyDelete