Shauna in South Korea

You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.

-Miriam Adeney

My Kindergarten Class!

My Kindergarten Class!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

I ALMOST saw North Korea..

Last weekend I booked a trip to go see the DMZ (The area between North Korea and South Korea). Not only is it one of the most famous places in the world, but it is especially interesting right now given everything that is going on with North Korea. To make a long story short- my tiny travel alarm clock that I use ran out of batteries in the middle of the night- so I did not wake up. I got a wake-up call at 7:40 am from the friends I was supposed to be meeting at 7:30. I was still in bed. PANIC. I told them to go as I did not want to make them late. The bus for the trip was leaving at 9 am. Very nicely but sternly they told me to get up, put some clothes on, and try to make it there on my own (I hadn't showered in 2 days- but I paid 45 dollars for the trip). That's exactly what I did. They told me where the bus stop was and told me to call them for directions once I was on the bus.


When I got on the bus- the driver was trying to tell me something in Korean- it was as if he didn't want me to get on the bus. After a lot of hesitation (and our lack of ability to communicate) he waved me to sit down. At that point I called my friends and they had the courtesy of double checking where I got on the bus, to find out that I got on the bus going the WRONG way. As tears started dripping down my face, I noticed everyone on the bus was yelling at my in Korean. I hung up the phone and saw that the bus driver had stopped (in the middle of the road) and was waving me to come to the front. I ran to the front of the bus while he was sticking his head out the window flagging down the bus across the street and pointing for me to get on that bus. I have NO IDEA how he knew I was going the wrong way-but it turned out to be a complete blessing. So with tears in my eyes I ran across the street in a furry and was soon on the bus going the right way. However it was now 8:16am and I needed to catch the bus at 9:00am sharp. I had 44 minutes. At about 8 thirty I got a call from my friends giving me a heads up that I might not make it. They said the bus ride was 45 min and that then I would have about a 5 min walk. I decided to at least try- I had already been through so much- I was not going to give up. At 10 min to 9 I got another call from my friends saying that once I got off the bus I was going to have to ride the subway. There was no way I could make it. I didn't get off the bus until 9:01- by the time I got to the station, got on the subway, and made it to the correct stop it would have been at least 9:20. I missed it. I missed my tour of the DMZ. Luckily- I still have 10 more months here and plenty of time to see it again. There was nothing I could do so I treated myself to a coffee and a donut, and then I hopped back on the 45 min bus ride home.

"For everything you have missed, you have gained something else." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

In school we are preparing for our big Halloween Festival that will take place at the end of the month. My kids are working hard on their Halloween song that we are preparing for the song contest. It's called "I'm a Pumpkin." Also, there is a Classroom decorating contest between the teachers and the classrooms will be judged at the end of the month. The first prize winner gets a gift certificate. I am sure you can only imagine that this is taking a huge toll on my life. I have been lacking a lot of sleep due to late nights making decorations for my classroom. It has almost become an obsession. I will make sure to take pictures:)

This weekend I spent time exploring Korea. I woke up on Saturday morning and just got on the subway- only to hop off at stops that sounded cool- Seoyhan, Yatap and Anguk- I mean how could those places not be fun? I also made my way back to Insa-dong (the art district) where I went to a small traditional tea house, took off my shoes, sat on a pillow on the floor, drank plum tea (a traditional Korean tea) and read my book. I also fit in some shopping along the way:) Successful day!

I hope this update finds you all happy and healthy- flu season is upon. I thank God every day for each and every one of you and I am wishing you all the best!

XOXO,
Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment