Happy New Year!!
The new year is well underway, and all I can do is be thankful for the multitude of ways I was blessed each day in 2009. My most recent encounter with the reality that God answers prayers is when my Dad was able to visit me in Korea, despite every
thing in the physical world being against him.
My Dad flew out of the Minneapolis Airport on Christmas Day- one of the busiest travel days of the year. He was flying standby (thanks to a dear family friend that works for the airlines and allowed my Dad to use one of his buddy passes to come see me), and there was a blizzard going through Minnesota. Regardless of all the obstacles he was up against on that day (with me sitting on the other side of the world preparing for his arrival knowing he may never make it) he not only got from MSP to Tokyo, and Tokyo to Seoul as planned- he got to ride in Business Class as those were the only open seats!
We wake up every morning despite what we did yesterday with so much to be thankful for if we choose to have the eyes to see it. Everyday has a new sunset, a new orchestra in the sky to take in, a gift from God. Everyday, grace waits for us to stumble on it. -Ellie RocherWe definitely stumbled on grace that day.
After arriving in Seoul, I spent the following three days showing him where I live. I showed him where I shop, where I eat, where I sleep, where I shower (probably not his favorite part of the trip- he may or may not have complained about having a sore back after hunching over during every shower), where I walk, and every other part of my HOME!
We sipped tea in Insa-dong, walked the bustling streets of Meyong-dong, ate street food, used chopsticks, explored Namdemuen outdoor market, stopped in to the Lotte Hotel to use the toilets with heated seats, spent 4 hours on a bus ride that should have take 45 min due to heavy snowfall the day after he arrived, made more Korean friends in 3 days than I have made in 5 months (Pat talks to everyone), navigated one of the most complex subway systems in the world, went to the War Memorial, and shared my tiny, one room, box of an apartment graciously. The excitement I felt showing my Dad all of the places I had been telling him about for 5 months is indescribable.
Galbi
Korean War MemorialOn December 29th, we left Korea and headed to Hong Kong. For being one of the most densely populated cities in the entire world- it was one of the cleanliest, most organized, modern, energetic city I have ever been to. When we walked out of the subway for the first time we had to stop and question whether we were dreaming or if we were in fact experiencing reality. The hustle and bustle, the warm weather, the bright lights and the neon signs overhead gave the impression of a movie set- not a big city. The friendly atmosphere, the diverse faces, the multitude of languages being spoken all around us, the action, the food, and the sights took me to a place that felt worlds away from Korea, and a place where my Dad and I could bond and travel internationally together, for the very first time-just the two of us.

Stanley Market


The Jumbo: floating restaurant

Waiting for the boat shuttle to the floating restaurant

View of Hong Kong from Victoria's Peak
Funny Moment: Due to the fact that my Dad is deathly afraid of heights he didn't think he could ride on the steepest tram in the world; going both up and down the mountain to see Victoria's Peak. We compromised and decided to take the tram up and than do the hour walk down the mountain that my Dad read about in his guide book. Let's just say after walking for an hour to and hour 1/2 on the "circle walk" (he convinced me it circled down the mountain) we ended up right back where we started- no closer to the bottom of the mountain and definitely no closer to food (it was almost 10 pm by the time we finished the walk). We ended up having to take a cab down the mountain. Way to go Dad!
I have learned that if you are going to laugh about it sometime, you might as well laugh in the moment. - Ellie Roscher

Local fish market

These guys are not being sold as pets. You decide-Lunch or Dinner?

Night Market

In 2 1/2 days we went to the coast, the markets, the highest peaks, ate dim sum on a floating restaurant, came across the most fowl smells I have ever experienced, shopped, walked, used the ferry to cross between Kowloon Island and Hong Kong Island, and best of all rang in the New Year with 1/2 a million people.




Happy New Year!!On New Year's Day we headed back to Korea. We took a tour of the DMZ (my second attempt) and I think I can safely say it was one of the coolest places either of us have ever been. We left with a million more questions than we went there with, and a passionate desire to do some extensive research about the history of the unresolved conflict that presides over Korea.

North Korea!


To Be Continued...

No comments:
Post a Comment