Shauna in South Korea

You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.

-Miriam Adeney

My Kindergarten Class!

My Kindergarten Class!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

nonsense.

Things I have learned in the last two weeks...

*The elevator at school does not show what floor you are on inside the elevator. I frequently get off on the wrong floor. By the time I realize that I am on the wrong floor, the doors are already closed.

*One of my kinder Mom's wrote me a note and told me she wanted to give me a "hearty welcome to Korea!"

*Every morning I can count on cracking my head on the flight bulb in my bathroom. No matter how many times I remind myself, it never fails...

*Koreans are obsessed with the Swine Flu. Schools are shutting down all over Korea. However, it is still acceptable for the secretaries to feed every child in the school cake during their bathroom break...using the same fork for everyone. It is also acceptable for a teacher to teach when they are sick- they just need to tell the students/parents their stomach is feeling a little upset from lunch if they ask!

*Kids have indoor shoes that they keep at school during the week. They walk to school in their outdoor shoes. In Friday's they take their indoor shoes home to be washed.

*No matter how often I tell my kids to never start a sentence with "Me" the do it all day long, non-stop. Now I don't even let them finish if I hear them say me, because I know the only thing that will come after the word me is ....need help, ...hit someone but it wasn't my fault, or ...go to the bathroom please.

*Every day I have to write all of my kinder's names on the board for our sticker system. Apparently it's not okay to write their names with a red marker as it's a sign of death and communism. I learned that the hard way..

*The belief that Kimchi grows on you the more you eat it is a myth. Complete myth.

*Ramen is a universal food- not just a college students life-line.

*Apparently my kinder Sean always has reasons for his reactions. He would never hit someone for no reason at all, according to his Mother. I guess since he has a reason, then it's okay..

*It is not appropriate to talk while riding on any form of public transportation.

--Challenge--Try to teach a 6 year old Korean child what it means to think when they don't understand any form of the word. Just try.

2 comments:

  1. Great observations Shauna and it gives us a glimpse into your world. Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. All Minnesotans who want to go to Korea should read this! If they don't have a heart to embrace this nonsense, then don't go!
    Don from Minnesota

    ReplyDelete