Yesterday London, Britney, Christine, and I had the pleasure of spending the day with Christine's uncle who lives in South Korea. He married a Korean woman when he was teaching at a University here about 3 years after he graduated college. He lived here for almost 4 years when he came the first time, so he knows the language and the culture very well. Him and his wife now live in Virginia where he is an English professor. He has come back to Korea on a special grant, and he is here teaching here for 10 months.
It was so much fun spending a day with someone who understands the language and is very knowledgeable about Korean customs!He took the four of us girls on the Seoul City Bus Tour. It was very fun because we got to see a lot of places in the city and it helped us to acclimate ourselves to the city and get a feel for where things are, and where we might want to spend more time exploring.
We spent a lot of the day asking him about new foods we should try (we can't read any menus so we only know how to order a very select number of dishes), how to find certain things, and how the heck to to function in a place where we can't read or speak the language. He was not only extremely helpful, but warm, caring, and so very generous with his time. I really hope I will be able to spend more time with him!
We spent a lot of the day asking him about new foods we should try (we can't read any menus so we only know how to order a very select number of dishes), how to find certain things, and how the heck to to function in a place where we can't read or speak the language. He was not only extremely helpful, but warm, caring, and so very generous with his time. I really hope I will be able to spend more time with him!Some of the things we saw were...The War Memorial of Korea, The N Seoul Tower (if you look in the picture on the front of my blog, its the big tower up on the mountain), Deoksugung Palace, the National Museum of Korea, and the Gyeongbokgung Place (now please don't ask me if I'm learning the language: I can't even read the words written in English. I am sure you can only imagine what the look like in Korean).
While I haven't yet fallen in love with this place, I have fallen in love with my job and the people I have met. I feel so blessed to have met so many wonderful people already, and my kids at school are just one big hoot after another. Kids in general say the most ridiculous things, so I am sure you can only imagine what kids say when they only know a few English words:) When I have more time I will let you in on my favorite phrases.
sending you all so much love,
shauna


No comments:
Post a Comment