"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."-Gail Sheehy
Changes have been quick, sudden, and happening all over the place for the past two weeks; so fast I haven't had much time to reflect and process on whether the changes are good, bad, or just different.
The 3 major changes that have affected my daily routine came with the school year ending in February...
1. I had to say good-bye to the most important and the most precious part of my life here in Korea: my Kinder's. It was more emotional for me than I ever thought it would be. In fact, it was only hard leaving them, it is still hard watching them with a new teacher. But lucky for me I didn't have to say good-bye permanently. On the bright side, my old class is in the classroom 2 down from mine, and I no longer have to be the bad guy. I get to be the one to just give them hugs in the hall, swing them around, sing with them during breaks, give them stickers when they come visit my classroom, and receive lots Eskimo kisses from Andrew every day before school starts. Many tears have been shed and I am sure there are more tears to come periodically, but I am glad I still get to see them daily.
2. Lucky me- I am now teaching the little tikes, or what we like to refer to as the baby class. The brand spanking new 5 year olds. And when I say 5 years old I mean 5 years old in Korea; 4 years old in the US. I have only had them for 5 days (we had a four day weekend last week due to a national holiday) and lets just say, good thing they are so darn cute. I had no idea how difficult it would be to teach 5 year old kids that don't speak my same language. I continue to pray for patience and love in my heart, because right now I feel like I might not be able to do it for the next 6 months. I know it can only get better, but so far I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Between the constant screaming, crying, tantrums, their inability to do ANYTHING by themselves, and then of course our lack of ability to communicate with each other...we have been struggling a bit (to say the least) this week. So once again...good thing they are so darn cute. :)
3. We lost 5 teachers, and we gained 4 new ones. Luckily 2 out of the five that left are still in Korea so we will still get to see them. They are just teaching at a different school. The new teachers are very nice, but the dynamic in the office has changed drastically and will take some getting used to. We have been very busy showing the new teachers around, helping them get settled, and giving them a taste of their new life for at least a year in Korea. I remember how hard and scary it was for me at first, so I am trying to help them as much as I can.
The one positive part of all these changes is that my life is never dull. There is always something to do, someone to help, a lesson to plan, flashcards to make, new foods to try, and sights to see. I really wish there were more hours in the day (as I am sure most people do).
I know I am not the only one with big changes in my life and many things going on, though. I would love to hear from all/any of you if you have a free moment! I would love some updates on what is going on back home:) I also want to thank everyone who continuously sends me mail. I have not had a week go by since I have been here where I did not receive
mail. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU so much!
Peace and love to you all,
Shauna

No comments:
Post a Comment